Pages

Monday 30 March 2015

The best purchase you can make at Daiso


My love of Daiso and pretty much everything Japenese is nothing new but, in terms of teaching resources, the best thing I have ever purchased from there has been a liquid timer. So much so that I went back there to buy one for a teaching friend this week and I walked out with 10 of them. Oops :)



If you have never been to Daiso before, it's an out-of-Japan version of a 100 yen shop where  everything is $2.80 (or in the US, I think everything is $1.50. Jealous). 





In the classroom, there are obviously lots of uses for timers but most importantly I use these for my students with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD). I have used lots of different ones in the past including this one but these timers have become my favourite this year because they're cute, a great visual, a calming tool and these timers vary from 60 seconds to 2 minutes. Sue Larkey sells a similar version to the Orange wheel one above on her website for $10, so this especially makes these a bargain. 

This year, my poppet with ADD has responded really well to using one of these timers so that he has warning time when I want him to stop a task or return from his cool down space. At the beginning of the year we had lots of modelling around how to use the timer so that now it has become both a visual and a non-verbal signal that he needs to return to the whole class activity. 

If you are looking for other resources for students on the Spectrum, Sue Larkey's site is well worth a visit. If you have any great tools or resources for ASD students, or just a great teaching bargain, leave a comment below. 
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

09 10